With Easter just around the corner, it is vital to remember that chocolate can be highly toxic to dogs and cats!

The risks of pets consuming chocolate

Chocolate poisoning is very common in dogs and cats, and can lead to illness and even death. If you suspect your dog has ingested chocolate, you should contact your vet immediately.

Most cats and dogs eat things that they are really not supposed to. As a pet owner, it is your responsibility that they do not have access to your sneaky chocolate bars or easter eggs, especially if you are planning an easter egg hunt in your garden.


Did you know that…
Chocolate is made from the roasted seeds of the cocoa tree, which contain two substances that are toxic to animals: caffeine and theobromine. Ingesting these substances can be serious, even fatal for your cat or dog.

Signs and symptoms of chocolate poisoning

Without treatment, chocolate poisoning can lead to weakness, coma and even heart failure, so it’s vital to act fast if you suspect your dog has eaten chocolate. Symptoms can take between 6 and 12 hours to appear:

• Drooling
• Vomiting
• Hyperactivity
• Diarrhoea
• Panting/ increase respiratory rate
• Fever/Increased temperature
• Increased heart rate
• Muscle stiffness or tremors
• Seizures


It is vital to act fast if you suspect your dog has eaten chocolate and contact your local vet!


Avoiding chocolate poisoning in dogs and cats

We all love our chocolate and we don’t expect you give to give it up, we just need to keep it well out of your pets reach.

When laying out your chocolate eggs for the Easter egg hunt, make sure it is in an area which is not accessible to your pets. Also ensure that once the hunt is completed, to do a final check of the area for any missed eggs.

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusby feather